The purpose of the CMSRN of Distinction Award is to nationally recognize a registered nurse who is certified as a Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN®) and exemplifies the mission, vision and core values of the Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board (MSNCB).
This award acknowledges a registered nurse who is dedicated to promoting and communicating the value of certification by providing education and support to peers, a healthcare organization, patients and/or the community.
To be eligible for this award:
The Nominee must:
- Be a registered nurse (RN).
- Be certified as a CMSRN for at least twenty-four (24) months.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of experience in medical-surgical nursing.
- Be currently practicing in the field of medical-surgical nursing.
- Be knowledgeable of the issues related to certification.
The Nominee promotes nursing excellence through precepting, mentoring and encouraging certification. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Serving as a role model for certification.
- Motivating and encouraging peers to attain certification.
- Assisting others to prepare for the CMSRN exam, e.g., study groups, review classes, providing resources.
- Being knowledgeable in the issues related to certification.
- Promoting certification to employer.
- Providing recognition activities for certified nurses.
The Nominee may be in a clinical nurse, educator, manager, or administrator role, providing they meet the definition of one whose leadership qualities emulate the highest of professional standards and have improved the practice of medical-surgical nursing.
Current members of the MSNCB Board, current members of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses Board of Directors, staff, and the members of the CMSRN of Distinction Award Review Team are not eligible for this award.
- The nominee may self-nominate or be nominated by a nursing colleague or supervisor (the Nominator).
- The nominator should complete the application and provide all supporting information related to specific questions.
- All nominations must be submitted electronically through the nomination form (open during application period).
- The nominee’s name should appear only in the information section of the application form to allow for a blinded, unbiased review of the nomination.
- The nomination form should include specific examples of the nominee’s qualifications.
- Selection is based solely on the information provided.
- All information will remain confidential.
- The award recipient will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at the AMSN Annual Convention.
You may submit an application to nominate a CMSRN for the CMSRN of Distinction Award through March 31, 2018.
The award recipient and nominator will be notified by June 15th.
- An inscribed commemorative award.
- Non-transferrable complimentary convention registration (only if attending the convention in the year of the award).
- A $1,500 honorarium to be used for expenses to attend the AMSN convention in the year of the award (must attend the convention to receive the honorarium).
Nominations received by March 31st will undergo a blinded review by the CMSRN of Distinction Award Review Team using established scoring tools. The recipient will be notified by MSNCB, and a written letter will follow from the President of MSNCB.
Number of Awards
One CMSRN of Distinction Award will be presented each year only when a nominee meets the award criteria. If there are no nominees meeting the criteria, the award will not be presented.